Ways to Squeeze in Exercise for the Super-Busy Person
You know you need to exercise, but when do you find the time to do it? It seems like there are never enough hours in the day. To be honest, the closest thing you get to exercise is lifting up the remote in order to change the channel. But now you’re having trouble zipping up your pants or you can’t fit into last year’s dress. Don’t give up hope. If you are too busy to exercise, think about ways to squeeze in some physical activity. Studies have shown that short periods of exercise scattered throughout the day are just as effective as exercise performed for a prolonged period of time. The following are some ways to fit in some exercise even if you have a hectic life:
- Walk during your lunch break at work. Even if you only have 15-30 minutes to spare, get out those tennis shoes and briskly walk around the building a few times. Wear a pedometer can you can keep track of the distance you walk. After all, every little bit helps!
- Take the stairs instead of using the elevator. When you are at work, taking the stairs can help you burn some fat. So bypass that elevator and head towards the stairwell.
- Do crunches and jumping jacks while you’re watching television. You can even do some exercises during commercial breaks.
- Instead of sending your coworker an email, walk to her cubicle or office in order to deliver your message in person.
- When you’re at home, get out a jump rope and skip rope for about 10 or 15 minutes.
- Take Fido out for a walk. You’ll both get some exercise and enjoy the fresh air as you circle around the block.
- Put on your favorite music and dance around the living room for twenty minutes. You’ll work up a good sweat and have fun at the same time.
- Purchase an exercise DVD or video that features exercise programs you can do in 10 or 15 minutes. There are several on the market to tempt your wallet. Don’t want to spend your hard-earned money? Run down to the library and check out some fitness DVDs. They’re free!
- Get a weighted hula hoop and hula for about 10 minutes. You’ll give your abs a good work out…and you’ll feel like a kid again!
- Clean your house! Sweeping, mopping, dusting, and scrubbing can be effective exercise. Just give it your all, and you’re sure to break into a sweat.
- Do you love being at the mall? Grab a friend and head to your local shopping mall. Then start walking at a brisk pace! You’ll get some exercise and window shop at the same time.
Let’s face it. Most people don’t have time to drag themselves to the local gym. Maybe you’re one of these people. Maybe you’d rather try one of these sneaky methods to work towards becoming fit. With proper diet and exercise, you just might be able to slip back into those pants that once refused to zip. So give it a try. Who knows? In a couple of months, you may find that last year’s dress looks as good on you as the day you first bought it!